Alan K. Swenson, MD
Alan Swenson, MD, is a fellowship-trained hand and microvascular surgeon. He pursued sub-specialization in hand and microvascular surgery for its complexity and the depth and breadth of the field. He says the best part of his job, though, “is getting people back to the lives and activities they love.”
Growing up in Anchorage, Dr. Swenson was a stand out at both Stellar Secondary School and the Alaska Pacific University Early Honors program. He earned his Eagle Scout and went on to study biology at Brigham Young University of Hawaii, graduating Magna Cum Laude, and later earned his doctorate of medicine, with AOA Honors, from the University of Washington.
After remaining at UW to complete an orthopedic surgery residency, he was selected to complete a surgical fellowship in hand and microvascular surgery at the University of Cincinnati. There he spent an entire year focusing solely on disorders of the hand and upper extremity under the renowned hand surgeon, Peter Stern. Since finishing his formal training, Dr. Swenson has continued his academic pursuits. He continues to be involved in cutting edge research at both the University of Cincinnati and the University of Washington, in an effort to further improve treatments for his patients.
Today Dr. Swenson is a vital member of the OPA hand specialty team with many publications, presentations and honors to his name. He says, “I am incredibly excited to be able to bring my education and training back to Alaska, and to provide care to my fellow Alaskans from all across the state.”
When not in the clinic helping others, he is probably out with his wife Heather, hiking, fishing, camping, surfing, reading, or spending time with family and friends.
EDUCATION & MEDICAL TRAINING
- Fellowship: Hand and Microvascular Surgery (2018 - 2019)
University of Cincinnati - Mary S. Stern Fellowship for Hand Surgery
- Internship/Residency: Orthopedic Surgery Residency (2013 - 2017)
University of Washington School of Medicine
- Doctorate of Medicine Degree: AOA Honors (2009-2013)
University of Washington School of Medicine
- Bachelors of Science Degree: Biology, Magna Cum Laude (2002-2005)
Brigham Young University of Hawaii
Early Honors Program (2001-2002)
Alaska Pacific University
HONORS AND AWARDS
- 2012 AOA National Honor Society
- American Medical Association
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- American Society for Surgery of the Hand
PUBLICATIONS & RESEARCH
- Thayer MK, Swenson AK, Hackett DJ, Hsu JE: “Classification in Brief: Regan-Morrey Classification of Coronoid Fractures.” Clinical Orthopaedic Related Research. 2017 [Accepted for publication. Date Pending.]
- Ibrahim DA, Swenson A, Sassoon A, Fernando ND: “Classifications in Brief; The Tscherne Classification of Soft Tissue Injury.” Clinical Orthopaedic Related Research. 2017 Feb 4. 75(2):560-564.
- Swenson AK, Gollogly JG, Ngiep OC, Braidwood M. 2011. “Tuberculous Arthritis in Cambodia.” Asian Biomedicine. 5 (1): 37-43 Alan Swenson MD
- Swenson A, Gold R “Improving High Protein Expression Level Solubility of Organophosphorus Acid Anhydrolase.” BYUH Biological Sciences Annual Research Symposium. 2006
- “Heterotopic Ossification in Acetabular Fracture Surgery.” (Firoozabadi R, et al): Tokyo University. Japanese Orthopaedic Association Travelling Fellowship. Tokyo, Japan. May 9, 2016.
- “Improving High Protein Expression Level Solubility of Organophosphorus Acid Anhydrolase.” (Swenson A, et al); BYUH Undergraduate Research Conference. Laie, HI. May, 13, 2006
- “Incidence and outcomes of vascular injury in the setting of tibial plateau fractures: a single institution review.” Western Vascular Society Annual Meeting. Blaine, WA. September 2017 (Accepted for presentation.)
- “The incidence of vascular injuries with concurrent tibial plateau fractures” Swenson A Desikan S, Terle M, Hemingway J, Quiroga E, Alan Swenson MD
- “Risk factors for vascular injuries associated with tibial plateau fractures” Desikan S, Swenson A, Terle M, Hemingway J, Quiroga E
- “Soft tissue management and suturing techniques.” University of Washington Orthopaedic Residency. April 14, 2016. “Traumatic Radial Head Fractures” LeCocq Lectureship series. Seattle, WA. January 21, 2016.
- “Management of Acute Orthopaedic Emergencies.” University of Washington Residency Boot Camp. Seattle, WA. June 26, 2015.
- “Reduction and splinting techniques.” University of Washington Orthopedic Surgery, Plastic Surgery, and Emergency Medicine Boot camp training. Seattle, WA. June 27, 2015
To schedule an appointment or contact the care team directly, call: