Owen L. Ala, MD
Dr. Ala is fellowship trained in hand, upper extremity and microvascular surgery. He focuses on treating patients with hand, wrist and elbow conditions including fractures, carpal tunnel syndrome, arthritis, joint replacement and more. He also has extensive training in wrist, elbow, and shoulder arthroscopy.
Dr. Ala earned his medical degree from Cornell University Medical College in New York City in 2008. He completed his orthopedic surgery residency at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, where he also served as chief resident. After residency, Dr. Ala received subspecialty fellowship training in Hand, Upper Extremity and Microvascular Surgery at the University of Pennsylvania in Philadelphia. During his fellowship Dr. Ala received extensive training in hand and digit replantation and participated in one of the few hand transplant programs in the world. Dr. Ala also holds a Bachelor of Science degree from Brigham Young University. Among his numerous papers and presentations, Dr. Ala co-authored "Stick Dominance Versus Hand Dominance in Youth Hockey," recently presented in San Francisco. He has also written a number of book chapters on wrist surgery and lectured on a number of topics, including pediatric elbow fracture treatment, sports injuries of the hand and wrist, and radial head fracture operative and non-operative management.
Dr. Ala is excited to return to his home state with his wife and three children and establish his practice here in Anchorage. He was born and raised in Soldotna where his grandparents homesteaded in the 1940s. He grew up working on the family farm, commercial fishing, and playing hockey.
Publications & Presentations
- Wrist Pathology Chapter, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Text Book
- Evaluation of Hand Transplant Patients
- Stick Dominance Versus Hand Dominance in Youth Hockey
- Glenoid Baseplate Fixation in Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement: Use of a Spine Awl to Gain Screw Trajectory
- Radiographic and Histopathologic Analysis of Osteolysis After Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Comparison of Early and Delayed Failed Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Observations on Retrieved Glenoid Components From Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
- Comparison of Conforming and Nonconforming Retrieved Glenoid Components
- Sports Injuries of the Hand and Wrist, Lecture; Pediatric Elbow Fractures: Assessment and Treatment, Lecture
- Radial Head Fractures Operative and Non-operative Management, Grand Rounds Presentation
- Management of Hand and Finger Amputations, Lecture
- Candidate Member of American Society for Surgery of the Hand (ASSH)
To schedule an appointment or contact the care team directly, call: