Pre-Op Patient Requirements
Please follow these instructions carefully so your surgical team can proceed with the surgery. Download in PDF
Week Prior to Surgery
- Arrange for a responsible adult to drive you home from surgery. Under no circumstances may patients drive themselves home from the surgery center/hospital.
- If general anesthesia is used, you will also need to have a responsible adult stay with you for 24 hours.
- Do not make any other plans for the day of your surgery. Surgery times are always subject to change. (Your ride should also reserve the whole day.)
Day Before Surgery
- Visit the facility where your surgery is scheduled to preregister and meet with a pre-op nurse.
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before your procedure. If you do, OPA will be forced to cancel your surgery. (This is very important; the intake of food and liquid affects anesthesia.)
Day of Surgery
- Remember not to eat or drink anything! In the morning, you may take all approved medications, but with only a small amount of water.
- Bathe or shower prior to your surgery — and do not use lotions or oils after doing so. Remove all makeup, nail polish, hairpieces and body jewelry. Note: Joint replacement surgeries may require specific washes or wipes.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing large enough to accommodate any necessary bandages.
- Be sure to bring...
- A case for your contact lenses, glasses and/or dentures.
- Your government-issued picture ID card
- Insurance cards
- Your Surgery Order Packet
- Leave all valuables at home, including jewelry, cellular phones, cash, etc.
- Arrive at the surgery facility 2 hours prior to your scheduled surgery time to allow for pre-operative preparations.
If you have any questions or concerns before any of your appointments or before your surgery date, please contact your surgery scheduler immediately. Click on the "Surgery Schedulers" tab of our Phone Directory. If your surgeon’s scheduler is not available, please contact any surgery scheduler in the office.