OPA Now In-network with Aetna
Lowering Costs & Expanding Access to Orthopedic Care For Thousands of Alaskans.
Effective November 1, 2017, OPA became an in-network preferred provider Aetna.
Aetna patients now have significant local low cost alternatives to leaving the state for orthopedic surgery. The contract also lowers costs for all major employers with Aetna networks who self-fund large portions of their employee medical expenses.
The contract affects thousands of Alaskans covered by all Aetna plans, including Aetna Choice POS II Aetna Medicare Advantage. Patients will see significantly reduced out-of-pocket expenses, no balance billing, more choices in providers and more timely access to care.
The agreement covers all orthopedic services and subspecialties and opens doors to all OPA providers and services at all locations, including Anchorage, Eagle River and Wasilla.
Agreement at a Glance
Effective Date: November 1, 2017
Alaska Aetna Plans Covered: All
Providers Added: All OPA (and OrthoAlaska) providers (see list below), including orthopedic physicians, rheumatologists, physician assistants (PA-Cs), physical therapists (PTs), occupational therapists (OTs), and nurse practitioners (NP or DNPs).
Subspecialties Covered: (all)
- Spine & Neck
- Foot & Ankle
- Arm & Elbow
- Hand & Wrist
- Hip & Leg
- Physical Medicine
- Rheumatology/Bone Health
- Joint Replacement
- Sports Medicine
- Trauma & Fracture
- Pain Management
- Physician Exam & Diagnosis
- Diagnostic Imaging — X-ray, MRI, CT, Bone Density Scans, Fluoroscopy
- Physical Therapy * Occupational Therapy
- Infusion Therapy
- Lower out-of-pocket costs
- No Balance Billing
- Greater Choice of Providers
- Continuity of (follow-up) care for most orthopedic trauma patients in Anchorage.
- Ability for patients to have surgical procedures close to home, not out of state.
- Access to all 31 OrthoAlaska physicians and their physician assistants
- Convenient locations — Offices in Anchorage, Eagle River and Wasilla.
- Reduced costs for self-funded small businesses with Aetna plans.
- Keeping more services & procedures in-state supports economy.